I am am writing a Student Management System in MS Access 2013, for an aviation school which I am co-owner of. We have 25 staff and 100-200 students to manage. I have basic-to-intermediate MS Access skills. I have created a functional system that works for our needs, and now I need to find a trusted Access programmer who can (a) tidy up what I have done eg. Screens, object names, simple VB code and (b) expand the functionality of the existing system, as I do not have the time (plus some requirements are beginning to stretch my capabilities in Access/VBA which I do not have the time to improve on).
The databases are separated from the Form entry Access databases to allow different staff members to have different views of the same centralised data. The central databases reside on our central corporate server, and the Forms databases reside on individual PC's, including PC's that use VPN to access the central databases. I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to compile the Form databases into an executable file.
There is a great deal of demand to add to the system functionality. It currently keeps student administration information, does some basic reports (mostly as Excel spreadsheets), and prepares standard letters using Mail Merge function with MS Word.
Som one the next stages are to:
- strengthen the production of standard letters function, including an audit trail for letters produced for each student
- tidy up the look and feel of the screen entry system
- tidy up the VBA code and object naming conventions
- create a (reasonably complex) formal quote (report) using the student lessons database. This will require some advanced date function coding in VBA.
- creating student progress reporting
- add in ability for student photos to be stored, and ID cards printed (we have an ID card printer)
- add in staff sign-on with passwords, and group authorities for access to functions, also for audit-trail purposes
- dashboard reporting of student progress, with alerts and auto-emails. Each flight instructor has an assigned batch of students, so dashboards would be based on selected students, assigned students, or all students.
- possible conversion to SQL and web-based entry to allow effective off-site usage and security
- Automatic database compacting and backups
- Series of reports (some simple, some complex) for managing students, and reporting to government prescribed formats.
- Generation of CSV file for upload to government reporting systems
- Many other suggestions and enhancements that will inevitably arise!