We are looking for a Japanese expert to answer the questions below about an investment bank, and to write a report with your findings, in English.
Our client is researching into an investment bank and its relationship with other banks, and has given us 10 questions that they would like to be researched, and answered in the form of the report. The client expected it to take around 8 hours of work, and would like it delivered back by this evening, UK time - though we may have flexibility on this. The job spec may change, but the description below should give you an idea whether or not you could do this:
You would come up with two pages of filtered data after approximately 8 hours of research. You would need to carry out Internet research on the following aspects of Marubeni Corporation over a from Jan 2007 to the present time:
1. Ownership structure of Marubeni Corp
2. Details of an indirect and direct ownership and or other relationships between Marubeni and the banks listed below
3. Existence of Marubeni executive or nonexecutive directors or representatives on the boards of any of the following banks:
Japan Bank For International Cooperation (JBIC)
· I understand this bank is wholly owned and controlled by the Japanese government, it would be helpful to identify how any relationship with Marubeni would be affected by the banks stated objective of providing financial support to Japanese public external policy.
· For example:
o would it typically provide bridge-finance or long term finance on a non-commercial basis:
o any details or examples of the kind of security requirements to finance (Marubeni owned) foreign energy resources which are of strategic importance to the Japanese economy
o whether Marubeni has any representatives on the bank’s lending committees or other similar ability to influence lending policy
Mizuho Corporate Bank, Ltd
· As above
· Also confirm how this bank is involved in supporting Japanese strategic interests overseas.
· Japan branch. This is less important unless it has any obvious connections with Marubeni and Japanese government lending policies
4. Confirmation of how Marubeni Corp’s 2010 annual accounts treated its ownership in Energy Asia Holdings Limited and its holdings in Kazakhstan uranium mining assets held though (i) LLP Kyzylkum and LLP Baiken-U. These two Kazakhstan entities hold mining licenses in the Kharassan uranium deposits. Confirm any values and whether they have indicated any impairment in the accounts.
5. In view of the above questions and relationships, include details of the shareholders of Energy Asia Holdings (BVI) Limited. I believe that these include Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group, Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) Chubu Electric Power (Chuden). Outline their relationships to the above named banks and any strategic interests they have in Kazakhstan.
1. Confirm details on the webites of the shareholders listed in point 5 above which indicate the price at which these companies acquired their interests in Energy Asia Holdings (BVI) Limited (in 2007/2008)
We are CLS Communication, an international multi-lingual communications agency, specialising in financial translation, but also covering legal, insurance, life sciences and enterprise service sectors. We employ over 700 people, around half of whom are inhouse translators, writers and editors.