Overview Specification for Data Checking Service.
1. The requirement is for an automated service that carries out checks on a phone number or email address.
2. A request to carry out checks on an individual phone number or email address is received in an email, or optionally as a message posted to a url.
3. The service cleans up and categorizes the received phone number / email address, and dependent on it's type carries out up to 3 checks using external web services.
4. These web services have simple, documented API's and can be accessed using JSON, XML and/or PHP. Here's an example of the output from the most complex check which gives feedback on 6 parameters:
"CountryName": "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland",
"NetworkName": "UK - 02 (UK) Limited",
5. In total, values for up to 11 different parameters are obtained from the 3 checks. The service translates each parameter value according to pre-defined rules and assembles a result message.
6. This result message, which is the output from the service, is sent in an email message, or optionally as a message posted to a url, back to the requesting user.
7. During busy periods it may be necessary for the system to manage several requests and checks in parallel, as there may be delays in accessing the external web services.
8. The peak request rate into the service shall be one message a second although normally it will be much lower than this.
9. Suitable hosting arrangements for the service shall be recommended.
10. A simple UI, e.g. a webmail interface, showing request and result messages shall be provided to enable monitoring of the service.
11. Details of all API's, request/result message formats, received data categorisation and required checks, and parameter translations, will be provided.
12. If the trial of the service proves successful, further enhancements to the service will be required.
13. A further check of whether a phone number or email address links to an Apple device (i.e. iPad, iPhone or Mac) is desirable.
14. The method of checking should be specified by the bidder. One approach, if slightly cumbersome, would be to verify the phone number or email address using the 'Messages' app of a dedicated iOS device.
15. Any hardware required to implement the solution should be specified. This will be procured by us and can be located at our office, which has Wi-Fi access available.
16. Any additional proposals for checking links with Android or other device types would be welcome.