Development of a Community Portal Framework
Site Concept: Sports related community site.
Brief Description: Our community portal should be developed using PHP/MySql as the dominate coding language. Other disciplines can be used for specific, limited tasks. It is mandatory that the code should follow an “open source” mentality so we can easily modify and create new modules to add to our community site. Another goal is to create a system which will allow us to plug in code or an ID to any webpage and get the desired functionality.
We understand that the majority of the functionality we need is available in existing open source projects. What we need is someone to take this work and customize it to our specs and consolidate it into one easy to manage application.
This is a list of major functionality needed for the site along with a “very” brief description. As you read this you will see that some of the functionality below can be incorporated into multiple modules or multiple features can make up a single module. Our goal is to provide as much info as possible at this stage.
• Account Login/Registration – Permission based system which provides the admin the flexibility to create new permission levels easily.
• Community Section/Management – When a new member is created (registers) a new personal area will be created allowing the member to use other functionality.
• Payment System – System to take credit card/pay pal payments on an annual or monthly schedule.
• Content Management – System to easily manage all content from community members, administrators and outside sources.
• FAQ – Easy to manage FAQ section.
• Help – Create a help section so community members can ask for assistance.
• Survey – Ability to create and manage surveys.
• Blog – Community members will be able to have a Blog area in their personal page.
• Forums – Easy management of forum section.
• RSS Feed – Need ability to easily pull in relevant news articles and place them in the site.
• Advertising – Module to control advertising.
• Schedule – This module will allow us to input sports related schedules. These schedules and match ups will then be published throughout the site.
• Search – Search functionality so members can find articles and other users easily.
• Audio Recording/Streaming – Need the ability to allow members to record a short audio. This audio will be available from their personal page as well as published in a streaming audio so all can listen.
• Shout Out Board – A board which members can write short messages and see them posted immediately. This will also include management tools to allow members to the ability to ignore or highlight other members.
• SEO – We need to make sure that the site is search engine friendly and might consider as part of a maintenance plan ongoing SEO.
• Our goal is to be able to create our own skins at any time. Site functionality with the skins shall be included by adding “Identification Code” to site elements.
• All Community functionality and modules must work via an Administrative web application. We need to have the ability to manage all the sites functionality from one administrative location.
• This is an ongoing project and will require a long term relationship. New modules will need to be created and old modules re-worked over time. We would also like to consider a maintenance contract with whoever wins this bid. Please add information on this if you are interested.
• We presently have a graphic designer, however if you can submit a nice design look we would consider allowing you to do this also. If our designer does the work we will need you to build the infrastructure and functionality above and attach it to a basic layout with instructions on how we can move it over to our new site. This is what you are bidding on at present. Once we have awarded the project we can look into the actual graphic design option.
• We have created an online visual to help understand the flow and functionality of the site. This will be made available once we have narrowed our search.
Thank you and please feel free to ask any questions. We will supply the information we can, but please understand that until the project is awarded we will be limited.