For some time the software for a chessvariant that I came up with is available. The game itself works really good, I didn’t find any bugs in the most important settings. However, after a couple of months of playing I did found several things that could be enhanced for better gameplay, some glitches and some simple ideas that offers the user alot more possibilities. Also when the game was launched I had alot of options and I didn’t knew which ones where best. With a strong player I found answers to those questions (and discovered that some rules should be slightly changed). The most important thing about this update will be the possibility to save and load a game, without this possibility its virtually impossible for people to play the game against others.
It's good to know is that this is a game that can be downloaded for free. Its a fun project and I have limited funds. The advantage of it being a fun project is that time is on our side and you can take it easy (but not years ?). So I hope people who enjoy tweaking games and/or who like chess will bid.
Download and play the game for free here: [url removed, login to view]
I’ve made a youtubevideo that explains the rules: [url removed, login to view]
-no artwork is needed
-If possible I would like to finish this project in 2012
-payment will be in milestones
- I will upload the funds before the project starts
-since the budget is small, the freelancer may put his name/companylogo in the “about” section. The game as it is now has been made by Ancosys. So his name will also stay mentioned. Furthermore I will post the link to your website everywhere where I promote the game.
-The game is currently made with CSS.
Ive listed all the issues:
(Numbers behind each issue refer to the screenshots that are attached to this project.)
1) The optionsmenu needs some changes
- currently the default settings are wrong, so other checkboxes have to be default (1,2,3)
- one option gives very unbalanced games, it can be deleted
- players can set prices and quantities of pieces, but it would be nice if players can also change this for both black and white. Weak players can set cheap prices, strong players expensive prices (4)
- it would be nice if the default option is first listed, then the others. (5)
- currently both players start with 0 coins savings. It would be nice that people can input startingmoney for both players. Weak players can then get initial startingmoney. (6)
- I am working out a formula that calculates a handicap. So there has to come two boxes where players can input their (estimated) rating. The software then sets the prices for the pieces. (7)
- The default prices should be a bit higher: knight 79, rook 120, queen 220
2) Ingame some changes are needed
- Notation works good, but has some glitches (1)
- it would be nice if the icons where in order: pawn – knight – bisshop – rook – queen (2)
- After some time some flags disappear. It almost looks as if it has a maximum number of flags. Oddly the minimap does display correct who owns which square. (3)
- The use should be able to ‘flip the board’ (white on top, black down) (4)
- A “save game” and “load game” option (5)
- An undo button, but only for the last move that has been made. (6)
– when the player buys a piece the software asks “left or right”, this can be confusing, its better to input a location: “b1” for instance. This already is done that way when the player buys a pawn, or has the “anywhere on backrank” settings on.
– currently the “help” just gives text. Id like to make images myself with examples and layout
3) Some bugs/rulechanges
- In settings the player can choose “steal cash” and “steal cash + promote”. These two options have proven not to be fun, instead the player should just get some money.
- In “produce and move” setting the player should not be able to move pieces that are just bought.
- A player that buys pieces doesnt get income, whereas it should.