We're operating a large number of wireless access points connected to our central access servers via OpenVPN Tunnels.
Genereally each access point has a management tunnel (routed) and a data tunnel (bridged). The solution works well overall, except for the following isssues:
- high latency and frequent tunnel disconnects on lossy (starring 1 % packet loss) links
- recurring latency peaks in the tunnel even in normal operation
- relatively high overhead even if tunnels are not used by end consumers
- problem of shaping the tunnel including overhead to a maximum bandwidth without killing the tunnel by dropping too much relevant problems
- issues of large packets not being able to cross the tunnel on some dsl connections (possibly mtu issue)
We're looking for an openvpn expert with excellent knowledge of linux networking, ipv4 internals (such as tcp window issues, mtu issues, ..) to debug this issues and help us with a solution.
Hi, I have my own private OpenVPN and other types of VPN service (including custom, created-by-me tunneling) and have ran into similar issues, I can help you. Send me a Private Message if you are interested. Thank you.