CVE 1000 INTRODUCTION TO CIVIL ENGINEERING
Paper Assignment 1 – Ethics Paper
Note: This assignment is taken from the ASCE Daniel W. Mead Prize for Students with slight modification in the requirements so I could assign a grade. If you are interested in entering this competition, please come see me. You could win $1000 for first place! – Dr. Suksawang
Topic: "When working in a foreign location, what defines the design standard which the
engineer can rely on to have met his or her ethical obligation to provide a safe and sound engineering solution or design?"
The following can be used to stimulate, but should in no way limit, the discussion:
Engineers today in the global setting are having to evaluate different design guides, codes, standards and practices that are available to them in the region and select the most pertinent to their specific application that will meet their obligations as a professional engineer.
When evaluating the different codes, standards and quality requirements, how is one to determine the minimum requirements that provide a good balance between local practices versus global best practices?
Do the local codes and standards, which may be less stringent than the standards that the engineer is typically accustomed to, meet his or her ethical obligation as the design engineer?
Due Date: The paper is due on Thursday, September 17 and should be submitted as a word document on CANVAS.
Requirements: The paper should not exceed 1000 words and should contain the following items:
Cover Sheet and Paper format (5 pts)
1. The report has a cover sheet with appropriate information (i.e., Title, Course Number, Course Name, Instructor name, Names of students preparing the report) (max. 3 pts)
2. All pages are numbered (max. 2 pts)
Introduction (20 pts)
1. The goal and objectives of the paper were well defined (max. 10 pts).
2. The problem and proposed recommendations were adequately discussed (max. 10 pts)
Body (50 pts)
1. There was sufficient evidence to support the claims by the authors (max. 20 pts).
2. Use of ASCE fundamental cannons (max 20 pts)
3. Use of Case Studies (max 10 pts)
4. All previous works were properly cited (max. 10 pts).
5. Use of illustrations, tables, and charts (max. 10 pts).
Conclusion (20 pts)
1. The conclusion was substantiate by the authors (max. 20 pts).
Grammar (5 pts)
1. The report was well written and free of spelling and grammatical errors (max. 5 pts)