The software is an on-line bidding and auctioning application that uses a clever mathematical algorithm to determine the winner of the auction.
I am not sure if I need two teams to work on this project, one to develop the algorithm and one to design the U.I?
Please let me know if you are confident in developing one or both of the elements. I will give equal attention to developers who specialise in only one element to those who claim to be competent in both.
The Application function
The application will be used by paid members and a ‘limited-service’ will be open to non-paying members. All members will be bidding for the chance to have their 2m30sec advertisement played in local venues (schools, churches, and supermarkets) across the UK.
With approximately 800 local venues the members can bid to have there advertisement played in a single room within a venue OR they can choose to have it shown on all the TVs within the venue (depending on the budget of the member). Most venues will have 4 -10 TV’s.
A total of 5 advertisements (2mins 30secs each) will be screened in a 12 and a half minute block and they will be a shown approximately every 3 hours throughout the day.
Traffic within the venues varies depending on the time of day and members will be more attracted to certain peak times.
We anticipate initial membership to be around 6000 paid members (however the application will need to be scalable to exceed this number) There is a high likelihood of over 100,0000 non-paying members who will join and they all will be bidding for the same time slots as the paid members.
The algorithm needs to take into account a variety of bidding styles:
• Paid members will receive higher preference in tied bidding situations (than non-paying members).
• (Small budget bid) The U.I. needs to be robust enough to allow for a member to bid for a screening on single TV in single location for a single showing.
• Members can bid to be screened in many venues in different city’s but at similar times.
• Members with very large budgets can bid to be screened in all locations at all times.
I would like the U.I. to have sliders to allow the member to control many of the preferences including Budget, other preferences include:
• (Location specific bid) It needs to be able to allow a bid to for all the Venues in a geographic location (e.g. all venues in Edinburgh). At all times or at just peak times.
• (Moving advertisement bid) If a member wishes to bid on slots to be played in Edinburgh one week then move to bid on slots in Glasgow the next week then Newcastle the following week, the software need to be able to accommodate this function easily within the UI.
The algorithm needs the be sophisticated enough to be able to rank who is leading the bidding at each venue (in real time) and allow the member to alter his preferences in real-time, in accordance with his desired advertising strategy (this would usually mean to maximise the number of showings OR maximise the prestigious peak time showings).
• The application needs to be sophisticated enough to deal with multiple bids of varying complexity and show real time the current 5 highest bids for each given venue. (This will allow the members to alter their bid by either increasing the money offering, or changing the time slots they are bidding on).
• (Analytics) the software must give real time feedback of the predicted plays for the advertisement and historic numbers of actual plays.
I understand in may be hard to fully grasp the application from this description, I am on hand to talk at length regarding the desired features and requirements the application needs to fulfil.
Please tell me how you imagine this software to be built?
Using what programs and computer languages?