Task 2: Health Information Technology
Health informatics professionals participate in teams working toward implementing new technologies in their healthcare organization. There is a need in the body of knowledge of health informatics and information management for research studies to support the effectiveness of utilizing health information technology (HIT), particularly as it impacts clinical areas. Assessing the impact of HIT on patient care, clinical staff behaviors, work flow, other processes within organizations, and outcomes related to all of these elements require objective evidence that results from research.
Think about the components of research as it would apply to a clinically based study in informatics. Consider how you could apply these concepts in the workplace to help grow the body of knowledge. In this task, you will review research on the implementation of a health information technology. You will then discuss how that research could be used to determine the effectiveness of implementing the technology in a medical workplace.
Your submission must be your original work. No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. Use the Turnitin Originality Report available in Taskstream as a guide for this measure of originality.
You must use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission because it provides detailed criteria that will be used to evaluate your work. Each requirement below may be evaluated by more than one rubric aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions of the course.
A. Provide a literature review of five academic sources (e.g. peer review journal articles, professional white papers, professional association articles) that discuss the implementation of one of the following health information technologies:
• clinical decision support
• computerized physician order entry
• computerized disease registries
• consumer health information technology applications
• electronic medical record systems
• electronic prescribing
• health information technology in small and rural communities
B. Discuss how you could potentially implement your chosen health information technology (HIT) from part A in a medical workplace.
1. Discuss the steps needed to perform a needs assessment for your chosen HIT in a medical workplace.
2. Explain how to formulate a research question about the implementation of your chosen HIT
3. Explain how to develop a hypothesis on the effects of implementing your chosen HIT
4. Discuss the purpose of using outside research to determine if your chosen HIT should be implemented.
5. Discuss how you would determine your chosen HIT’s value for a medical workplace by doing the following:
a. Compare two research methods that could be used to determine a HIT’s value.
i. Justify which research method would be more appropriate for determining your chosen HIT’s value in a medical workplace.
b. Compare two measurement methods that could be used to determine a HIT’s value.
i. Justify which measurement method would be more appropriate for determining your chosen HIT’s value in a medical workplace.
6. Discuss a data collection tool or technique that could be used to provide data on the implementation of your chosen HIT.
a. Describe the benefits of the chosen tool or technique.
b. Discuss how to analyze the data collected with the chosen tool or technique.
7. Discuss how to create conclusions about the implementation of your chosen HIT that are supported by research and data.
C. Acknowledge sources, using APA-formatted in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.