In an age of technology, education apps are changing how students learn in the classroom. Educators are keeping up with the latest mobile technology to enhance students’ learning and this is evident in the rapid growth of apps for iOS and Android devices.
There is such a high demand for education apps that statistics predict the market will be worth $38.7 billion USD in 2020. Educators recognize the value of technology and encourage its use in the classroom. They use it to inspire learning, capture the imagination and to improve results. Mobile apps are in use for school programs and training employees in new, exciting ways. Let’s explore the top trends in education apps for 2019.
Augmented reality education apps revolutionize learning
Augmented reality (AR) is revolutionizing traditional learning by introducing new ways to comprehend information. It ignites students’ imaginations by connecting reality with digital content to change how they learn. Students can scan different parts of a textbook and receive video and audio tips to make complex concepts easier to understand. Benefits of AR apps include:
- Encouraging students to take the initiative to learn
- Better student engagement
- Adding a practical element to learning
- Learning anywhere, anytime
Interactive virtual reality education apps lead the way
Developers build virtual reality (VR) apps using complex data to help students learn. These are interactive computer-generated experiences set in simulated environments. Students can move around and interact with virtual features for better learning. Using VR allows them to experience and learn complex concepts quicker in a 3D environment. Benefits of VR apps include:
- Better student engagement
- Putting learning into practice
- Capturing students’ attention as learning is interesting
- Immersive learning is less distracting
- Creative learning
Education apps use artificial intelligence
The use of artificial intelligence (AI) in learning programs continues to grow in 2019. It has already infiltrated our lives with Google and Amazon’s intuitive responses. This does not mean humanoid androids will replace teachers anytime soon. AI has a multitude of uses to help teachers and students get more out of education.
Adapt to student needs
AI software adapts to student needs to allow for individual learning at all age levels. From games to learning software, AI responds by repeating topics the student has not yet grasped. It emphasizes more complex topics to help them learn at their own pace. Soon students at all levels can work together in the same classroom. Teachers will become learning facilitators, motivating learning and giving support where required.
Tutoring to shape lifelong learning
AI tutoring programs are emerging technology with the increase in lifelong learning. Imagine tutors powered by AI that can support students in their studies in school and beyond. They can measure learning as students study and shape how they learn in real time.
Automate the arduous task of grading
Teachers spend a lot of time grading papers. Now AI can automate the arduous task of grading homework and tests. The technology has advanced beyond grading simple multiple-choice questions. AI uses keywords to recognize correct answers to complex questions designed to test students’ understanding. Intelligent education apps also scan for plagiarism. This frees up a teacher's time for better student interaction and to prepare course materials. It also gives teachers the time to pursue personal development.
Identify how to improve courses
Often it is difficult for teachers to identify how to improve their courses. There can be gaps in their lessons and course materials that can confuse students. Automated grading analyzes patterns and trends to identify gaps in student understanding of course material.
Education apps assist students with mobile learning
Students are comfortable using their mobile devices for almost everything they do. They have the world in the palm of their hands. Mobile learning education apps allow them to access information anytime they want answers. Mobile apps are the way of the future. Students learn at their own pace using fun apps that immerse them in the world of e-learning. They can access e-books and a wealth of study material on the web that gives them access to new perspectives. Using the web is often easier for students than using the library and textbooks.
Technology in the education sector has grown beyond classroom walls. These days there are apps for online payments and marking school attendance. This makes it easier for parents and teachers to make payments and track students. Mobile benefits include:
- Interactive lessons in context
- Bringing your own device to complete digital assignments
- Self-paced flexible learning
- Learning collaboratively using forums and chat rooms
- Knowledge sharing in online mediated environments
Gamification apps make learning fun
- Repeatedly, parents and teachers hear learning should be fun in order to engage students. Gamified education apps have exploded onto the marketplace for home use. There are all types of apps for all age groups. From apps to teach children their ABCs to Grasshopper teaching students basic coding. Gamification is a revolutionary approach to the world of learning that works.
- Education apps use fun environments for students to meet real-life challenges and deal with other situations in a safe environment. Immersing themselves in games gives students deeper insight and understanding of the topic. It takes talent and insight to build an app that balances the science of learning while being entertaining.
- Developing education-based games must focus on learning first, then add the entertainment dimension to support learning outcomes. An intelligent game delivers information. It also needs to identify a player's comprehension level and learning challenges. Games need to know when to move to the next level so students actually learn and retain the information. This teaches them how to make good decisions when facing challenges. It also boosts self-confidence when they progress through the game.
- These are exciting times as technology helps educators reimagine learning across the world. Rapid technical advances transform the education system in ways never thought of before. The ingenuity and vision of app developers is changing how teachers deliver lessons for students to learn. No longer is learning just from boring textbooks. Technology brings subjects alive to engage students, igniting their passion with a hunger to learn. And these trends will continue into the future.